Saturday, September 27, 2008

I've always wanted a fan page...

The last couple of weeks with Linux have been unpleasant -- Compiz was muting out all sound in KDE so I had to disable it, I couldn't figure out how to make any emulators aside from Infocom play games (with Infocom I failed to create a desktop shortcut at that), and finally, despite trying several sites, I could not manage to upload a few large files. Finally did it in XP Friday morning after starting to cry from sheer frustration. :-p

Enough grumbling... A little bit ago, I mentally signed myself up for a little project: I'm going to figure out how to best emulate the first seven Ultimas in Linux, then post a guide for newbies so they aren't stuck with weeks of trial-and-error. Eventually I'll have guides up for every emulator platform (Apple, C64, FM Towns, etc.) and if I'm really really lucky, the best music hardware for each. One of the Ultima Dragons has a page up with .ogg music files demonstrating the difference between each song being played on the most pricy cards versus the standard, and it really is shocking.

Also found another person that is evidently trying to live with the Virtues as I've done for the last 20 years, and signed up for his forum. I'm hoping to convince myself that it's "safe" to communicate there, because anyone else that has been on the same path I am is very unlikely to ever get nasty like many people do. We shall see...

No comments: